Monday, May 05, 2008

Iron Man

In honor of Iron Man's success at the box office this weekend (and yes, I saw it and enjoyed it), I'm posting some Iron Man art I worked on for Marvel's Creative Services Department back in 2004. I should point out up front that I only supplied the pencils for these projects, and the lion's share of the work was done by the incredibly talented Scott Johnson.

First up is an image of Iron Man surrounded by his various armors. I was supplied with an image of Iron Man that was done by Adi Granov with a mockup background pasted in:

(click images to enlarge)



I was also given this image by Paulo Rivera of a similar scene:



What they wanted was a background with the same look of the Paulo Rivera piece to paste in behind the Adi Granov figure. After fighting endlessly with the perspective and the various armor designs, I finally managed to get a pencilled piece finished. I wasn't too happy with it at the time and I still see a lot of obvious problems that I should have fixed:



This was sent to the aforementioned Scott Johnson, who despite the flaws in the pencils used it as the basis for this incredible digital painting:



And here's the final result, with the Granov figure in place:



As you can see, Scott did a great job of painting the background and integrating it with the previously existing art.

More Iron Man tomorrow!

3 comments:

IADW said...

Wow Steve - that's a great Iron Man image - thanks for showing us the processes behind it!

Ty Buttars said...

Not an Iron Man fan but I always loved to see the group shot of the various armour incarnations. Nice job Steve.

Paolo Rivera said...

I usually go to your blog to see your art, but I was pleasantly surprised to see some of mine as well. Great job with all the suits!