Monday, October 01, 2007

Old School

(click images to enlarge)




Bear with me for a little bit of stupid self indulgence. Today I was going through some unpacked boxes from our last move (3 1/2 years ago!) and came across some very old artwork. Sadly, there is no date on either of these masterpieces, but it's safe to say that they were produced when I was quite young. If I had to guess, I'd say I was somewhere between 7 - 10 years old when these were drawn. No doubt that titanic Spidey/Electro battle was inspired by a reprint of The Amazing Spider-Man Annual #1, which was my all time favorite comic book as a kid. You can supply your own sound effect for extra awesomeness.

7 comments:

S.H.I.E.L.D boy said...

amazing work man!
I would like to see you drawing Spidey someday.

Unknown said...

ahh yes. the beginnings of greatness revealed!

JohnPopa said...

The sad part is, that's remarkably better than I could do today -- and I'm 34!

francis tsai said...

Man, classic! Did you ever think back then that you'd be doing that for a living someday?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this little slice of fun from your childhood. Brings back my own great memories of doodling Spidey on long Summer days.

That Annual was probably the one reprinted in a Treasury Edition!

Good to see you're having fun with the site!

Steve Epting said...

S.H.I.E.L.D. boy and Raphael: Thanks!

Hey Popa: good to hear from you.

Francis: I'm sure I wasn't thinking in those terms back then, but it would be cool to go back in time and tell (or maybe warn) my younger self what he was in for.

Drew: I don't have a memory of that reprint with a cover on it. It was always coverless when I read it, like a lot of our comics were. However, I'm positive it wasn't a Treasury Edition, so it had to be Spider-Man Annual #6, which reprinted "The Sinister Six" from the first annual.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Anonymous said...

I recall making my own comic back when I was around the age you estimate you were at when you drew these, and ironically it was Spider-Man and Electro!

JBo