Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Alchemy

From the Alchemy website:

"Alchemy is an open drawing project aimed at exploring how we can sketch, draw, and create on computers in new ways. Alchemy isn’t software for creating finished artwork, but rather a sketching environment that focuses on the absolute initial stage of the creation process. Experimental in nature, Alchemy lets you brainstorm visually to explore an expanded range of ideas and possibilities in a serendipitous way."

You may have already heard of this program. I first discovered it a month or two ago but haven't had much time (or any time) to experiment with it. It's free to download and looks like it will be fun to explore. After opening it and figuring out the basic interface, I did these two quick sketches (with a little photoshop flourish here and there)-



(click images to enlarge)


Like I said, this was a month or two ago, and even though the nature of the program makes the sketching quick and spontaneous ( both of these took about five minutes each) these are the only two pieces I've done so far. Hopefully I'll get a chance to play around with the program some more soon. Download it here.

3 comments:

Jason Latino said...

Looks pretty sweet, I'll have to check it out after National Novel Writing Month is over. Thanks for the link.

Jay Boaz said...

Looks pretty good. What took you 5 minutes I'd be proud to accomplish in my lifetime!

I'm curious, do you use a Mac or a PC (or both)?

Steve Epting said...

Mac. Though there are a couple of PC laptops somewhere in the house.