Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Hellboy!

Yeah, I know...just what the world needs - another blog. Well, needed or not, here it is. I'll be using this blog to post sketches, paintings, experiments, thumbnails, layouts, unpublished art and anything else I feel compelled to inflict upon anyone unlucky enough to stumble onto this page. I'll try to update it fairly often with whatever I happen to be working on, and you can relax - my rambling comments probably won't be nearly as long as they are in this first post.

To kick it off, here's a little Hellboy sketch I did sometime last year and recently decided to paint. It was done with markers and inkwash and then scanned into Photoshop to be subjected to my "coloring". Despite the fact that the good folks at Marvel actually allow me to do painted covers for Captain America, I'm a real novice at painting. Plus, I've only been doing color work in Photoshop for a little over a year, so I consider myself a beginner not only as a painter, but as a digital artist. These little speedpaints (which I define as 2 hours or less) are a good way to experiment and learn - and hopefully eventually bring something new to the published work.

(click images to enlarge)

1 comment:

Jon Wesley Huff said...

Wow! I'm so happy you started this. I've been a fan for a while. It's great to see some of the process you use. I've been blown away by the art in Cap, even though I was a fan back in the Avengers days. While all the other kids were into Image books, I was always a fan of what in my head I would term "more realistic." Your work and Paul Ryan's Fantastic Four stuff were probably on the top of my list. Great stuff!